National Bloody Mary Day is celebrated on January 1, 2023. It is difficult to say who specifically invented National Bloody Mary Day or when the holiday was first celebrated. National Bloody Mary Day is an American food holiday that is dedicated to the popular cocktail made with tomato juice, vodka, and various spices and seasonings.
The origin of the Bloody Mary cocktail is somewhat disputed, with several stories claiming to be the true origin of the drink. One popular story is that the Bloody Mary was created in the 1930s by a bartender named Fernand Petiot at the St. Regis Hotel in New York City. According to this story, Petiot mixed equal parts tomato juice and vodka and added a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, and other seasonings to create the drink.
It is not clear when National Bloody Mary Day was first celebrated or who specifically created the holiday. It is possible that the holiday was created by a group or organization as a way to promote the cocktail or to celebrate the history and cultural significance of the drink.
How to Make a Bloody Mary
A Bloody Mary is a popular cocktail made with tomato juice, vodka, and various spices and seasonings. Here is a basic recipe for making a Bloody Mary:
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- 4 ounces tomato juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Garnishes (such as a celery stalk, lemon wedges, or olives)
- Fill a mixing glass or shaker with ice.
- Add the vodka, tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, celery salt, black pepper, and lemon juice to the mixing glass or shaker.
- Shake or stir the ingredients well to combine.
- Strain the mixture into a tall glass filled with ice.
- Garnish the cocktail with a celery stalk, lemon wedges, or olives, if desired.
- Serve the Bloody Mary immediately and enjoy!
You can adjust the amounts of the ingredients to suit your personal taste. Some people like to add additional spices or seasonings, such as horseradish, paprika, or cumin, to give the cocktail a more complex flavor. You can also add a splash of clam juice or pickle juice to the cocktail for a tangy twist. Experiment with different ingredients and ratios to find the perfect Bloody Mary for you!