January 1st Food History
There are several notable events in food history that have occurred on January 1st:
- In 1892, the first successful shipment of frozen mutton from Australia to the United Kingdom took place, marking the beginning of the modern frozen food industry.
- In 1937, the first canned beer, Krueger’s Finest Beer, was sold in Richmond, Virginia, revolutionizing the beer industry.
- In 1943, the first microwave oven was invented by Percy Spencer, an engineer working for the Raytheon Corporation.
- In 1961, the first fast food chain, McDonald’s, began using frozen patties for their hamburgers, paving the way for the widespread use of frozen meat in the fast food industry.
- In 1984, the first annual Black-Eyed Pea Day was held in Texas, celebrating the traditional New Year’s Day dish of black-eyed peas and cornbread.
- In 1986, the first annual National Hangover Day was held, marking the first day of the year dedicated to recovering from the previous night’s celebrations.